Monday, February 20, 2012

Robes?


On a drive home from Columbia over the weekend, Kate and I got to talking about choir robes. Where did this fashion statement and practice originate? And why do we still think its an appropriate "costume?"

Here's the only conclusion I could come up with...

Back in the times where all people wore were robes, the group of singers decided they'd all wear the same color. Of course it wasn't a robe back then, it was clothes. So the leader says, "hey, this Sunday, we're wearing white." And somehow 2,000 years later, it's stuck.

The thing is, is that it's 2012, and well...robes look ridiculous.

Maybe this is the story, maybe not, but I like my version of the story. And truth be told, I'm too lazy to research it, because at the end of the day, no matter what the reason, it still looks ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Peace,
Ross

No comments: