Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Divinely Inspired VS. Divinely Dictated


Let's debate…what do you say?

It's in a political season that I often hear people use the Bible in most fascinating ways.  In these seasons, it seems we dust off the good book and use blanket statements like, "the Bible is my owners manual," or "it's the only rulebook," or "the Bible contains all of the rules for life."  Of course, these are blanket statements, but hopefully you'll get the point.  When we can use the Bible to our advantage, we make things out to be black and white, that may or may not actually be.

Now comes the rub…here's 2 questions:

#1 - Is the Bible divinely inspired?

next question…

#2 - Is the Bible divinely dictated?

I think far more people are comfortable with a yes to question #1 than #2.  (of course, I don't assume it's all about me finding my own comfort, as it is me finding truth)

The more and more I read it, I am drawn to the notion that the Bible should be read and understood as an unfolding, revelation from God.

Seeing it this way, says "yes, it is divinely inspired, but requires a heart and mind of revelation to seek its truth."

In doing this it is possible to come to the conclusion that I agree with #1, but not #2.  It is possible to assume that just because God inspires something, doesn't mean that it's dictated by divine means.  After all, there's a tremendous amount of contextualization and politicization at play.

It also makes me wonder what God is continuing to reveal?
Revelatory language makes the reader ask, "what's next?"  It assumes movement and progression.  It looks at things, revealed in the OT (through dictation) differently than things revealed by God in the flesh of the NT.

And when I read it this way, it collects far less dust!

I hope you'll chime in!

Peace,
Ross

No comments: