Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Art Kiosk Diatribe

Being on the road a lot has its perks. Seeing new places, tasting new local foods, understanding community from different regional perspectives, etc. But what I'm noticing as the rising star is the local shopping mall, district, galley.

Today I was at the local indoor-mall-shopping-center-of-stores. It featured Macy's, Sears, a Barnes and Noble, Target, and I'm pretty sure there was a Hy-Vee attached, so needless to say I was in a real ritzy place. But what grabbed my attention more than the Annie's Pretzels (and I do love my pretzels!), and more than the numerous urban outfitter"z" was the oil paint kiosk. Never had I realized the pure necessity of typical midwesterners to oil "originals" of our favorite athletes, NASCAR celebrity, pop-icons, and scenes from movies that we all love.

It wasn't until today that I discovered my yearning desire to the, "say hello to my little friend" scene from Scarface. But, now I know. There was indeed a void that needed filling. And I just happened upon the Indian Artist that created the oil-painting masterpiece.

People, scenes from Scarface and Richard Petty is not art. If your living rooms are adorned with these - take them down. If you are still convinced that this is indeed art, please don't reproduce.

-ross

No comments: