Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Our Essence...Don't Condition it Away!


I believe that we are all created creative. I know some of you will argue that you don't have a creative bone in your body, but I would disagree. Because I believe that we were created in the image of the Creator God (Genesis 1:27), our essence is that of creativity.

This struck me again last week as I was sitting on a bench at the park. I watched kid after kid, use the swings as vines - climbing tools to the frame, that became the kids' jungle. I watched kids climb up the exterior of the tubular slides pretending to be Spiderman. I watched kids make up fantastical plot lines for the make believe games they were playing.

Then I watched as parent after parent stopped the kids from swinging from the ropes of the swings, stopped them from climbing the exterior of the slides, and all of the sad faces associated with the parental intervention.

I believe that what I saw, was the creative in each of us being quelled by adulthood. We've all been told not to do things (granted some of it is for our safety), but imagine a world that was dream-free, danger-free, and creativity-free. It wouldn't be much of a world.

So the next time you see your kids being creative in their surroundings, watch and learn from them. Soak up as much as you can, and above all, help them to flourish in their creativity. It's in our basic human makeup. Don't condition it away!

Peace,
Ross

No comments: