Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Air Conditioning and the End of Human Interaction (at least for 3-4 months)




Welp, the air conditioning got turned on for the 1st time this year at our house…that means muggy days and nights, sweaty brows, and “swamp-back” are here till fall. That makes me frown. I don’t like to sweat. I don’t like to be wet unless I’m swimming or bathing. It’s uncomfortable and annoying. I get mad quicker. My patience becomes limited.


You want to solve the Middle East conflicts. Air-condition the entire region. No wonder everyone has it out for everyone else over there…its like 134 degrees in the shade. I’d want to murder a guy too. (food for thought)


But in all of the cool-air goodness, there has to be something that’s lost in it all. I was thinking about this while driving this morning: So, what happens when we turn on the A.C.?

We stop hanging out outside because it’s not as comfortable. When we stop hanging out outside, we stop seeing our neighbors. We become recluses for 3-4 months every summer. Heck, if there were a way to robotically mow my yard, I might never see another human being on my block. Thus, we have the breakdown of true community. We drive our climate controlled SUVs into our climate controlled garages and walk into our climate controlled homes. Whew, no human contact necessary!


So what are some other things in our lives that allow us to cease any real human contact???

Online Purchasing – like ebay, amazon, overstock, etc.
Netflix

Texting

IMing

Emails

I ordered a Pizza online the other day (1 less person to interact with – check!)


The list could go on and on and on and on I’m sure. It’s sad. It’s pathetic. And we wonder why we don’t really know anyone anymore…but at least I'm not sweating :-(

~Ross

No comments: