Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tomato Pie

I apologize that this post is tardy by a week.

But it really all began 2 weeks ago after an NPR story about people's favorite dishes from around the country. At first I wrinkled my nose at this creation, but after thinking about it, I decided we MUST try it.

Tomato pie.

So last week Kate and I rounded the ingredients up and indulged.

Kate started by making a biscuity crust. After that you pile on a layer of tomatoes. On top of that goes a layer of vidalia onions. Then another layer of juicy red ones (tomatoes).

Then comes the real magic.

In a separate bowl you'll need to prepare a heavenly combination that sounds anything but heavenly (you'll just have to trust me).

You take a cup of mayo and mix that with a hearty portion of cheese (we used mozzarella). This turns into a cheesy paste - almost the consistency of a cheese ball.

Then spread that over the layers of tomatoes and onions.

Take your tomato pie and stick it in the oven for about 25 min on 400.

Then let your inhibitions go and enjoy yourself!

It's a must try and a great summer delight.

Enjoy!
-Ross

No comments: