Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I Won't Forget Today


The weather in St. Louis is frigid today.
Temperatures are in the teens and the wind is blowing 40-50 mph.

And minutes ago, I stepped back indoors from a funeral. The funeral was a military funeral, with full rifle salutes, flags, etc.

The snow was blowing.
Cheeks, ears, and finger tips were bright red.
Tears couldn't even find their ways down people's cheeks without freezing first.

But amidst the cold; people listened, prayed, mourned, and remembered this man's life.

I didn't really know him well. He was in his nineties and went to my church. He was always bringing smiles. He loved to laugh and make others laugh. He brought about peace and joy.

Seeing the family gathered, grieving, and loving was surreal but warming. And even though I didn't really know him well, I was thankful that just for a moment I was able to be present in the midst of his remembrance and ceremony.

Life is fragile and even when it leaves us in old age, the loss of a loved one is difficult.

But this man gave life a ride and left a legacy. I hope to do the same.

Today I learned in the frigid temperature.

I won't forget today.

-Ross

No comments: