Sunday, February 20, 2011

Reality & the Eye?


This post is random I know. I was curious what it is in our eyes and brains that determine certain things to look fake or real. I remember early films growing up that looked and felt 100% real, only to later look back and laugh at how fake the effects, CGI, etc appear. But this has been the case since the beginning of film - not just something we grow out of as we all age and mature.

Titanic looked 100% real to me the first time I saw it. I would never have known it was crafted through miniatures and CGI. However, now, my eyes have adjusted (I suppose) and I see parts as looking uber-fake.

I realize the technology is changing and getting more sophisticated, which allows us to create more real, realities. But what was once seen and perceived as reality has also morphed with the tech. It has effected our brains and judgments. There's no conclusion to this post or science to show why this indeed happens; just a random thought.

Peace,
Ross

p.s. Jurassic Park still holds its own!

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I think the main reason is the first 45 times you saw titanic, you were viewing through a teary lense, so your clarity was lacking. Now that you are numbed by the story, you can see it for what it is.

This is just a hypothesis.