Monday, April 20, 2009

Feeling Polarizied?

Quick question for ya?

Do you feel more polarized from Washington today, or did you a year ago?

Here's a quote from the weekend: "There will be no sacred cows, and no pet projects. All across America, families are making hard choices, and it's time their government did the same," Obama told Americans in his weekly radio address on Saturday.

I look at the legislation that's been passed these past 100 days and see nearly even split politics - every Democrat voting 1 way, and the Republicans the other. That is as polar opposite as you can get! I can't imagine writing a bill or law that EVERY single Democrat would 100% agree with and Republicans would 100% disagree with (or visa versa). Doesn't it seem hard to believe that someone couldn't find at least something positive to vote for (or against)?

I'm being critical of both sides here.

I'm not surprised though. Even though there are promises to "listen to what average Americans are saying," there was no presidential response to the tea parties of last week. Of course, the major news networks already made up the decision that not only were the tea party participants crazy right-wing-gay bashing-racists, but they took it the step further to make a gross sexual joke (that I would have made in 7th grade) on prime-time tv.

So, I guess we'll see what happens and if this polarization can be tamed.

I have my doubts.

-R

No comments: